Questions answered about Carb Manager version 7
- Updated On 23 Feb 2021
- 8 Minutes To Read
We're listening and we appreciate your feedback! This article includes answers to some of your questions.
Why did you update the app?
It's been several years since Carb Manager had a significant update, and we were overdue for one. We're always collecting feature requests and feedback from customers, and many of the updates in this app redesign (version 7) are based on that feedback, including:
- Multi-add: This much-requested feature means you can now add foods directly from the food finder without having to open a food detail dialog. Just swipe right on the food, or tap the Multi-Add button, then tap the + button to add your most recently-selected serving size.
- Smart Search: Use "natural language" in your search queries, like "two eggs and a cup of coffee with cream" to bring up all three items at once.
- Macro Goals for each meal: Premium members can now set specific macro goals for each meal via Settings > Meal Goals.
- New features for people with diabetes, including HbA1c, eAG tracking, and the ability to specify insulin types.
- Custom water "glass" size for quicker tracking.
- Better accessibility & zoom functionality: Increase text size under Settings > App Settings > Additional Settings.
- New Keto and low carb learning opportunities in the extensive Keto Academy video series.
We’ve spent the past 18 months reimagining and redesigning the Carb Manager app from the ground up, with a new look and many new features that make it even easier — and more efficient — to manage your diet and fitness goals all in one place.
Did you test the app before launching it?
Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: Also yes, but with the caveat that software development for an app of our scale comes with an incredible degree of complexity. Carb Manager is a small team, for the size of our product and user base. No code is released without at least three sets of developers' eyes on it. Developers tested the app’s code extensively with both automated tools and manual QA (quality assurance) tests. We hired a QA specialist to test the new app for bugs from top to bottom; every function, click, etc. Our entire internal team—including staff from every department—were looped in to test in the same way.
Satisfied, we shipped the app. As you can imagine, a small team of individual testers is quite different than a user base of millions, using every possible configuration, age of device, and operating system you could ever imagine—and this is where testing of any piece of software can fall short. It's nearly impossible to predict every single possibility when testing a complex, feature-rich product like Carb Manager. Many bugs are only present on certain versions of certain operating systems, and many only show up in very specific "edge" circumstances. With a user base in the millions, customers are performing the equivalent of lifetimes of QA testing every single day.
It's normal for software products to have bugs. This is why even a company like Apple is constantly releasing updates with bug fixes and improvements.
Could we have done better? Absolutely. Do we know how important it is for our community to have an easy-to-use, worry-free app that makes achieving health and wellness goals easy? Of course. It’s why we have—and continue to—work around the clock to make this new, best-ever version of Carb Manager for you.
How do I sync data between the mobile app and web app in version 7?
- Use the same email address and password for your registered account when you sign in to version 7 of the mobile app and version 7 of the web app at my.carbmanager.com. When you are signed in to the same account, your data will automatically sync between the mobile app and web app.
Why can’t I see some of the recent changes in the new app?
For the best performance, ensure you get the latest updates to Carb Manager version 7. You may need to refresh the mobile app or web app as described in the following sections.
Refresh the mobile app
If the mobile app is open, even in the background, when we release an update, you must fully close the app before the app can be refreshed with the latest version.
- Force Carb Manager to close on your device, then reopen Carb Manager to automatically get the latest version.Tips to force an app to close:
iOS devices: Follow the steps on Apple's help center.
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down and select Apps or Application Manager.
- Select Carb Manager.
- Tap Force Stop to fully close the app.
- If you suspect that you still don't see the latest updates in the mobile app, uninstall the app and then reinstall the app from the App Store or Google Play.Note: If you don't have a registered account, we recommend that you create one before you uninstall the mobile app. Otherwise, you will lose access to your logs and other data when you uninstall the app.
Refresh the web app
The web app, my.carbmanager.com, always opens in the most current version, but if we release an update while you are using the app you will see a message asking you to refresh the app.
- If a green Refresh message appears on the screen, click Refresh to get the latest update.
How do I scan barcodes or QR codes?
You can log foods by scanning UPC or EAN barcodes from food labels. You can also scan QR codes from our Carb Manager's Keto Diet Cookbook.
- Select Add Item > Scan Barcode / Snap Picture. (Use the same button to snap pictures.)
For more information, see Log foods by scanning barcodes and pictures.
How do I find and log food?
Here is a quick video that shows you how to find and log foods in the new Carb Manager.
If you need immediate assistance, please let us know. For faster service, please see articles in our new knowledge base, which has an extensive section on finding and logging foods, recipes, and meal plans, such as the following articles.
- Find foods, recipes, and meals
- Log one or more foods, which also introduces our new multi-add feature.
How do I find My Foods, Recipes, and Favorites?
You can now find custom foods, recipes, meals, meal plans, and favorites in the main food search window, as shown in this graphic.
- Select Add Item > Add Food, then select the My Foods tab.
For more information, see Find foods, recipes, and meals.
How do I update my weight, measurements, and other health metrics daily?
- Select Goals in the main navigation.
My Measurements is now in Goals. You can add your measurements, see your history, and also update your goals for measurements.
For more information, see View progress and gain insights toward goals.
How do I change the text size?
- Go to Settings > App Settings > Additional Settings and select Text Size.
Where are the forums?
- To access the Carb Manager low carb & Keto diet forums, go to forums.carbmanager.com.
Where is the donut chart?
Due to overwhelming feedback, we brought back the pie chart from version 6 to replace the donut chart that we introduced in version 7. However, we appreciate your suggestion and have forwarded it on to the development team for consideration and possible inclusion in the future.
For more information about the pie chart and other summary charts, see View progress charts and daily nutrition totals.
Where is the In-Depth tab?
You can now view your daily, "in-depth" details straight off the Daily Log home screen.
- Go to the Daily Log, then select the In-Depth Details button. (On a small screen, the button appears at the end of the list of daily log entries. On a large screen, the button appears on the right side of the screen.)
For more information, see View progress charts of daily nutrition goals and totals > In-depth details.
How do I import a recipe?
Premium members still have the option to import recipes from certain websites.
- Select Add Item > Add Food > Options > Import Recipe.
For more information, see Import recipes.
How do I create a custom food, recipe, or meal?
- Select Add Item > Add Food > Options and select either Create Food, Create Recipe, or if you are a Premium member, Create Meal, or Create Meal Plan.
For more information, see the following articles.
How do I edit a custom food, including editing serving units and weights?
- Select Add Item > Add Food.
- Select the My Foods tab.
- Select the custom food that you want to edit.
- In the custom food's screen, select Options > Edit Food, then update details about the food.
Here is a short video that shows you how to change the serving weight and the serving unit.