- 07 Mar 2022
- 4 Minutes to read
Get started with Carb Manager
- Updated on 07 Mar 2022
- 4 Minutes to read
Our mission is to empower you to achieve your diet and wellness goals and to make a healthy low-carb lifestyle easy, fun, and delicious.
Whether you're new to Carb Manager or are already a registered member, this article highlights some key steps that will help you succeed, including:
- how to set up, or refresh, your profile and main goals
- how to adjust a few settings for best results
- how to log food and activities, track your diet and progress, and more
1. Get Carb Manager
- Get the Carb Manager mobile app, or use our web app at my.carbmanager.com.Tip: Create a registered account to secure access to your data if you lose or replace your device. (A registered account is required to use the web app, but not the mobile app.)Tip: Subscribe to Carb Manager Premium to unlock features that help you manage goals and analyze results. You also get exclusive content such as recipes and meal plans.
2. Set up your profile and main goals with the Getting Started Wizard
The Getting Started Wizard automatically opens the first time you open Carb Manager and guides you through a few steps to create your profile and your main goals. Carb Manager uses this information to calculate your daily energy budget (calories or kilojoules) and your goals for macros (carbs, protein, fats).
- To open the Getting Started Wizard anytime, go to Settings and select Getting Started Wizard in the Goal Settings section.
- Create or edit your profile.
- Set your main diet goals with the Macros Calculator, including options to ease into your diet, maintain macro goals with Smart Macros, and set carb and macros cycling goals (different goals on different days).
3. Adjust a few settings for best results
Go to Settings > App Settings and adjust the following settings.
- Carbs to Track — Most low-carb dieters track net carbs, which is the default setting. But Carb Manager offers four choices, including total carbs and two types of diabetes carbs. This is particularly important for people who are based in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and the UK, where nutrition labels differ from the United States and do not include fiber in the carb values. For more information, including details about how Carb Manager calculates carbs for different regions of the world, see Track total carbs, net carbs, or diabetes carbs.
- Enable Calories/Kilojoules Tracking — Choose whether to see your energy totals (calories or kilojoules) in the daily log. For more information, see Track energy.
- Enable Calories/Kilojoules Burned Deduction and Enable Macros Burned Deduction — If you log exercise, you may choose to have Carb Manager automatically deduct energy (calories or kilojoules) and macros. For more information, see Deduct energy and macros when you log exercise.
- Units (all settings) — Choose whether to see measurements of energy, weight, length, and volume in imperial units (such as calories, pounds, feet, and ounces), metric units (such as kilojoules, grams, and centimeters), or a combination of both units. You can also choose to see blood and ketone density in mmol/L or mg/dl and, if you track water, set the size of your water glass. For more information, see Change units of measurement.
- Show Decimal Values — Carb Manager automatically displays totals that are rounded to the nearest whole number. To see exact totals, so you don’t break your streak or miss Challenge points by exceeding your goals by fractions of a gram, choose to view decimals instead of whole numbers. For more information, see View decimals or whole numbers in charts and graphs.
- Text Size — If you use our mobile app, you can increase the size of the text and make it easier to read. For more information, see Change text size in the mobile app.
4. Start using Carb Manager
- Track your food, water, exercise, fasting hours, and more in the Daily Log. For details, see Daily log overview.
- Track specific body and health measurements such as your weight, waist size, sleep, cholesterol, and more. For details, see Log weight, Add body and health measurements, and other articles in the Track body and health measurements section of our knowledge base.
- View your daily progress, view historical measurements, and analyze results. For details, see View progress and gain insights toward goals, which includes a tutorial video.
- See Get more from Carb Manager, which describes how to set additional goals for macros, micronutrients, exercise, meals, and more; sync a fitness device or app with Carb Manager; and connect with other people in the Carb Manager community.
We’re happy to help. Find answers by searching the knowledge base, watching video tutorials, viewing common troubleshooting topics, or contacting our customer support team. We’ll do everything we can to help you achieve your wellness goals.